Monday, November 22, 2010

Sample. Chop. Repeat.

















All the beats I have posted so far were created using Cool Edit Pro and Fruity Loops (for drums only),  above is a screen shot of what a waveform looks like in Cool Edit.  I did all my chopping using that program, and it took a long time.  I used to figure out the precise lengths of samples and chop them mathematically, which was a little crazy but it worked for me.  For example,  a 2 bar section at 90 BPM (Beats Per Minute) is 5.3333 seconds long.  If I wanted to chop a 1 bar sample I would make a new file that was 2.6666 seconds long, and if I wanted to make a half bar sample it would be 1.3333 seconds long, etc, etc.  This was my main method for creating my chops/loops for the early years of beat making, and it was incredibly precise, though I don't know if I would have the patience to do the same nowadays, especially with programs like Recycle and the new features in Logic 9 which make chopping such a breeze.  Here's a Monday beat to get your week started.

Confusion

Post a comment